The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) will mark the 100th anniversary of the department of dentistry with a celebration on Friday, May 3, 2013. Events planned for the centenary will highlight the department’s rich history and its many accomplishments.
“Building on a century of smiles” and the future of dentistry are the themes for a full-day educational symposium that will welcome up to 250 community-based dentists, clinical staff, residents and fellows. Confirmed speakers and seminar topics include:
- Dr. Paul Andrews, department of pediatric dentistry, University of Toronto, and Dr. Michael Casas, director of clinics, department of dentistry, SickKids: Formocresol, ferric sulfate, MTA: benefits and outcomes.Panel/audience discussion to follow with moderator Dr. Peter Judd, dentist-in-chief, SickKids
- Dr. Ed Barrett, staff pediatric dentist, SickKids: Culture clash? Pediatric dental practice in the age of helicopter parenting
- Dr. Fiona Campbell, staff anesthesiologist, co-director, Pain Centre, SickKids: Dental pain matters: improving outcomes for children and adolescents
- Dr. Robert Carmichael, staff prosthodontist, SickKids; chief of dentistry, Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital, and Dr. Manor Haas, staff endodontist, SickKids: Advances in endodontics and implant prosthodontics. Point/counterpoint: endo or implant?Panel/audience discussion to follow with moderator Dr. Peter Judd, dentist-in-chief, SickKids
- Dr. Peter Cooney, chief dental officer, Health Canada: Treatment and preventative interventions, public perception of risk and the impact on the profession
- Dr. Mark Greenberg, senior staff oncologist, SickKids; head of long-term follow-up clinic, SickKids: Childhood cancer – the cost of cure
- Dr. Daniel Haas, dean, faculty of dentistry, University of Toronto: Local anesthetics: toxicity and adverse events
- Dr. David Kenny, former dentist-in-chief, SickKids: The history of dentistry at SickKids: milestones and accomplishments
- Dr. John O’Keefe, director of knowledge networks, Canadian Dental Association: Accessing clinical and scientific knowledge with current and new technologies
- Dr. Bruno Vendittelli, staff orthodontist, SickKids: Presurgical infant orthopedics
Additional speakers will present informative talks on implants, endodontic therapy, infant presurgical orthopedics and behaviour management.
An evening gala at the Arcadian Court in downtown Toronto will welcome past and present staff dentists, support staff, residents, fellows, medical/allied professionals of the SickKids team, and friends of SickKids dentistry from the broader dental community and dental industry. The Diamond Gala—Celebrating a Century of Smiles at SickKids, will feature entertainment, dancing and culinary delights.
For more information on the events planned for the centenary celebration, visit