In Canada, the safety of cells, tissues and organs (CTO) for transplantation is subject to Health Canada’s Safety of Human Cells, Tissues and Organs for Transplantation Regulations (CTO Regulations) and the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) standards.
In December 2012, the CSA published a second edition of the following standards from its CTO series:
- Cells, Tissues, and Organs for Transplantation: General Requirements (Z900.1)
- Tissues for Transplantation (Z900.2.2)
- Perfusable Organs for Transplantation (Z900.2.3)
- Ocular Tissues for Transplantation (Z900.2.4)
- Lymphohematopietic Cells for Transplantation (Z900.2.5)
Any CTO that have been processed after December 21, 2012 may be considered non-compliant with the CTO Regulations, if they have not been processed in accordance with the updated CSA standards.
To obtain a copy of the new CSA standards, visit the CSA website.